Saturday, 18 January 2014

My First Blog!

...Oh hey there! How are you? Welcome to my blog! I never thought I would have my own blog...I was given a choice in my Using Information and Communication Technology in Education (ICT) class. It went like this: either write a blog, or do a final project using technology worth a significant chunk of my grade. Yikes! I would not describe myself as someone who knows a lot about technology, so I thought that creating a blog may be more suitable for me! So...here we go! Since you have stumbled upon my blog, you are probably wondering...what is this?

To start with my name is Rachelle Wizniak, an aspiring educator of the world. Yes, you read correctly, the world. Let me tell you my life story thus far. From West Philadelphia born and raised...sorry! That was someone elses' story, I was born in the wonderful city of Brandon Manitoba. Since I can remember, I have always loved learning and being a student. However, as much as I loved being a student, after I graduated from Vincent Massey High School, I was ready for a change. I decided to take a year off to explore options for my future. Instead of working, or going to school I bought a plane ticket. I ventured to Europe to explore all of the famous landmarks I had always read and dreamed about visiting. Some of my favourite cities I visited include Paris, Amsterdam and Rome. This overseas journey sparked my interest in learning about history. Upon arriving back home, I enrolled in the Bachelor of Arts program at Brandon University. Throughout my undergrad, I worked at the YMCA and as a server. I worked for the before and after program, youth programs, paddle pools and my favorite, summer day camp. I really enjoy working with children and wondered if teaching would be a suitable career choice for myself. However, there was one thing holding me back from applying to the faculty of education program at Brandon University - I did not have any experience to gauge whether teaching others would be right for me. Realizing I did not have any teaching experience, I took the initiative to further my interest in becoming a teacher. In 2012, I began volunteering at Westman Immigrant Services (WIS) in Brandon. At WIS, I was given the opportunity to teach adults English. I can say with honesty I showed up everyday and left every evening with a smile on my face. I'm so thankful for my experience at WIS because at this time I knew I wanted to become a teacher. I graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2013 and applied to the faculty of education. Guess what? I was accepted and right now I am currently enrolled in my first year of education at Brandon University.

I really enjoy being in the early years stream, my cohort is just as excited as I am to get out there in the classroom! I feel like there are still a few details missing from my first blog. Hmmmm... Oh yes! To conclude as to why I plan to be a worldly educator, my goal after I obtain my Bachelor of Education degree is to teach and travel abroad! I believe writing a blog is not only useful in the classroom, but it is also an effective way to communicate and share ideas with my classmates, soon to be future colleagues in Brandon. So now that you have finished reading "about me", I ask you to please bare with me as I explore how to develop my skills on how to use ICT in education. In my blog, I plan to explore current issues with technology in the classroom, as well as develop and reflect upon my skills using ICT!

Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment