Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Week 2
Hello again! Welcome back to my blog! So, now that you know about me, and what my blog is supposed to be about (if I don't get too offtrack), I would like to share some of the cool and exciting things I learned so far in my ICT class.
Over the past two weeks I have learned a lot of neat ways to use technology in a classroom setting. Some of the websites I learned how to use Wallwisher and Wordle. In class we were asked to answer a question on Wallwisher. This activity was an interesting and fun way to gather information from the class. Student's answers were readily available as they were typing and then each student was given the opportunity to present what they wrote. Wordle is a website that organizes your information in a cool and unique way. It allows you to alter your ideas with colour and organization. Try it out!
In other news about technological journey, I bought and downloaded an ebook called Connected From the Start: Global Learning in the Primary Grades, written by Kathy Cassidy. It is about Kathy's experiences using technology. Kathy is an early years teacher in Moosejaw and has used technology in the classroom in a variety of ways. So far I have read the introduction and the first chapter titled Why Connect? I really like Kathy's ideas of not only how to use technology, but she answers why using technology is important with younger students. In the chapter, she demonstrates how her students become globally connected to another classroom in New Zealand. As a result of connecting with another part of the world, her students experience deeper learning, as they are eager to learn more about their friends on the other side of the world. In my first blog, I expressed my desire to teach abroad when I obtain my education degree in 2015. I think it would be a great idea to connect my classroom to a classroom here in Canada. It would benefit both classrooms to know more about the world, and as Kathy says in her book it is important to be globally connected.
After reading the beginning of Kathy's book, I was able to relate her concepts to my own experiences. I'm an avid user of social media, such as Facebook and Instagram. These social media sites have allowed me to stay in touch with family around the world. My cousin Julie is a Vice Principal in Cairo, Egypt and without technology I would not know much about her daily life. Through connecting with her by social media, I am able to know what is going on in Egypt. As a result, I experience deeper learning. For example, I had no idea the pyramids were so close to the city, pigeon is considered a delicacy in Egypt and I was in the loop when the revolution in Egypt was occurring. This reinforces Kathy's ideas in her book, because without being connected, it would be more difficult to experience deeper learning.
Until next time, stay tuned!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for sharing how your stories connect with Kathy's.
ReplyDelete